Vietnamese Tomato Rice with Chicken & Pickles
Red Tomato Rice
1 cup jasmine rice
1 cup water
1/2 cup Mutti Sugo Semplice Pasta Sauce Chilli
x2 chicken marylands
1 lemongrass stalk, white part only, bruised
1 garlic clove, minced
2 tbs fish sauce
2 tbs light soy sauce
1 tbs vegetable oil
2 tbs brown sugar
1 lime, juice
1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
1/4 cup white sugar
1. Start by marinating the chicken, mix all the marinade ingredients in a bowl and coat the chicken. Set aside for 30 minutes at room temperature or cover and place in the fridge overnight. Preheat the oven to 200C/180C fan-forced.
2. To make the pickles, combine the rice wine vinegar and sugar in a small saucepan. Place over a medium heat and swirl pan until sugar has dissolved. Using a vegetable peeler, shave the carrot and cucumber into ribbons. Place in separate bowls and pour vinegar into each bowl. Stir to coat the carrots and cucumber in the pickling liquid.
3. Line a baking dish with foil. Place a wire rack over the baking tray, and chicken skin side up on the rack. Bake for 1 hour. Place the remaining marinade in a small pot and simmer over a medium heat for 5 minutes. Set aside.
4. To make the rice, combine water, Mutti Sugo Semplice Chilli and rice in a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cover with lid, reduce heat to low and cook for 13 minutes. Turn off heat and allow it to rest with the lid on. When the chicken is ready, use a fork to fluff the rice up.
5. Drain the pickles. To serve, place rice on a plate, top with chicken, coriander leaves, mint leaves, lime wedges, pickles and extra marinade