1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 large brown onions, finely diced
800g Mutti Polpa Finely Chopped Tomatoes (2 400g tins)
½ cup red wine, dry
1 ½ cups water, hot
2 bay leaves
1 tsp cinnamon, ground
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp black pepper
½ tsp chilli flakes, or to your liking
1kg beef mince
3 tsp cumin, ground
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt
1 tbs thyme, dry
10 sprigs fresh parsley, finely chopped
2 large eggs
½ cup breadcrumbs
- In a flameproof baking dish use the extra virgin olive oil to sauté the diced onions until they become translucent. Transfer half of them in a large bowl for the meatballs and set aside.
- Add the rest of the sauce ingredients in the flameproof baking dish, mix well, bring to a boil and simmer for 15min.
- Preheat the oven at 180˚C fan forced.
- While the sauce is simmering, prepare the meatball mixture. In the large bowl you placed the sautéed onion and added the rest of the meatball ingredients. Mix well until they are all well combined.
- Use the ¼ cup measuring cup to scoop the mince mixture with which you can form elongated meatballs. By this stage the sauce should finish simmering.
- Place the meatballs in the flameproof baking dish with the sauce, scoop sauce on top of each meatball. Bake the meatballs for 35min uncovered.
- After 20min take the baking dish out and turn the meatballs around, return the dish to the oven for the last 15min. The sauce should reduce by that time and the meatballs will be cooked through.
- Take the baking dish out, cover it with foil and allow it to rest for 10min before serving with rice or fried chips.