● 1.5 kg fresh tomatoes
● 4 tablespoons of olive oil (divided in half)
● 2 red onions
● 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
● 1 tablespoon of fresh thyme leaves
● 2 tins of Mutti Organic Peeled Tomatoes
● 2 cups of stock (chicken or vegetable)
● 1 cup of fresh basil leaves
● Salt and pepper, to taste
● 200ml of evaporated milk (optional)
● Pre-heat your oven to 180°C.
● Peel and quarter the onions and halve the tomatoes.
● Place on a lined baking tray and drizzle with 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
● Season with salt and pepper and roast for 1 hour.
● Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in a heavy-based pot and gently sauté the garlic, and the thyme.
● Add the tinned tomatoes and the basil, then simmer for 15 minutes.
● Add the roasted tomatoes and onion, continue to simmer for a further 30 minutes.
● Remove from the heat and use an immersion blender to blend until smooth.
● Add the evaporated milk, if desired, or just drizzle it on top.
● Serve with fresh, crusty sourdough.