- 2 large (or 3 medium) eggplants
- 1 tin Mutti Cherry Tomatoes
- Olive oil spray
- 2 red onions
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 large cloves garlic, cut into thin slices
- 1 large red chili, finely chopped
- 1 cup parsley, finely chopped
- 2 and 1/2 teaspoons salt
- Cracked pepper
- 80 grams feta cheese
- Olive oil, for drizzling
1. Cut the eggplants in half lengthways
2. Using a small spoon, hollow out the flesh of each eggplant, leaving 1cm of flesh, or enough to create a vessel for filling. Reserve the eggplant that has been scooped out.
3. Spray a large baking tray liberally with olive oil spray. Place the hollowed eggplants onto the tray and spray them very liberally with olive oil spray. Sprinkle them with the 1 and 1/2 teaspoons of salt.
4. Place them in an oven at 180 degrees Celsius, and bake for 40 minutes, or until the eggplants have started to soften and brown slightly.
5. While the eggplants are baking, prepare the filling. Dice the eggplant that you scooped out previously into small squares.
6. Place the diced eggplant, onion and 1/4 cup olive oil in a large frying pan. Stir, ensuring all the ingredients have been well coated by the olive oil.
7. Switch the heat onto medium to high, and cook until the eggplant has softened and the onion is translucent and soft. Ensure you stir every so often during this process so the vegetables cook evenly, for approximately 10 minutes
8. Add the garlic and chili to the pan and cook for a further 4 minutes, or until the ingredients start to brown slightly in colour and caramelise.
9. Add the Mutti Cherry Tomatoes and parsley to the pan and stir through. Add the teaspoon of salt to the pan, and season with cracked pepper.
10. Remove the filling mixture from the heat.
11. Fill the prepared eggplant shells with the filling, evenly distributing the filling between the eggplants
12. Cut the feta into small thin square pieces, and place on top of the filled eggplants. Drizzle the eggplants liberally with olive oil. Bake in the oven for 40 minutes at 180 degrees Celsius.
13. Serve and enjoy