Serves 10 with pasta or gnocchi
- 700g Mutti Passata
- 2 tablespoons Mutti Double Concentrate Tomato Paste
- 650g beef mince
- 350g pork mince
- 3 large brown onions (about 500g), finely chopped
- 1 small carrot
- ½ celery stalk, finely chopped
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) Monini Classico olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 125ml (1/2 cup) red wine
- fresh bay leaf
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg (or to taste)
1. Place the oil in a large heavy bottomed pot with a lid. Add the onion, carrot and celery and cook on medium-low heat for 20 minutes until soft, stirring regularly.
2. Add the garlic and cook for another 5 minutes.
3. Increase the heat to medium and add the meat, stirring frequently, allowing it to brown all over for about 5 minutes.
4. Turn up the heat to medium-high and add the wine. Allow that to evaporate then add the Passata, tomato paste, bay leaf and nutmeg. When it starts to simmer, reduce the heat to low and cover.
5. Simmer for 1.5 hours, stirring occasionally, adding salt and pepper to taste.
6. Serve on top of your favourite pasta, with grated parmesan cheese. Store the sauce in a ceramic container in the fridge for up to a week