- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian herbs
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 400g can Mutti ‘Polpa’ Chopped Tomatoes
- canola or vegetable oil, for shallow frying
- 4 crumbed chicken schnitzels
- 200g drained marinated eggplant
- 125g grated mozzarella
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. Make sauce. Heat olive oil in a small frying pan. Add onion and cook over a medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until soft. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute longer. Add herbs, sugar and polpa and cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally until very thick.
2. Meanwhile, line a grill pan with foil. Heat canola oil in a large frying pan over a moderate heat. Shallow fry crumbed chicken in 2 batches, adding more oil if necessary. Transfer to lined grill pan.
3. Spread each crumbed fillet with sauce, top with eggplant, then sprinkle with mozzarella and top with Parmesan.
4. Heat grill to high. Grill chicken for about 3 minutes or until cheese has melted and started to brown. Serve immediately.
Tips: substitute crumbed veal schnitzels for crumbed chicken.